Saturday, September 9, 2017
1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Hoff-Barthelson Music School Hosts Early Childhood Music Classes Open Houses
Join in the fun of a music and movement class and learn about the School’s offerings
Enroll now for Fall 2017!
Begin the new school year by attending an Open House at Hoff-Barthelson Music School. Early Childhood Open Houses are scheduled from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm on Friday, September 8, and from 1:30 – 3:30 pm on Saturday, September 9. Children ages 3 months to 5 years and their adults are invited to join in the fun of a music and movement class, followed by a brief Q & A with faculty, and a reception during which you can socialize with other families.
Exercises and games during the classes involve singing, moving and improvising; using small percussion instruments to promote inner hearing and rhythmic sensitivity; and working with a variety of whimsical materials to inspire the imagination. Through these activities, our talented faculty members guide young students to develop many of the skills involved in music-making and a joyful bond grows between children and their adults as they listen, sing and move together with the music.
Hoff-Barthelson’s Early Childhood Program is grounded in Dalcroze Eurhythmics – a method of teaching that pairs music and movement to catalyze the development of children’s minds and bodies. Even the very youngest children develop focus, spatial awareness, gross motor skills, social skills, and the ability to work with others – all while having fun! Classes are available for parents/caregivers with their children as well as in a “drop-off” format for children who enjoy attending music class independently. Classes are taught by certified teachers and utilize live music.
“The classes, grouped by age, are dynamic and interactive,” said Laura Barnet, Early Childhood Music Specialist at Hoff-Barthelson. “Children love music. It is something that they can participate in at a young age; it fosters their complete development.”
Classes offered include:
- Learning in the Lap, (3 – 12 months) designed for young ears, just learning to listen;
- The Guppies, (12 – 24 months) where children, supported by parents/caregivers, move to music and develop their curiosity as they delve into new concepts of sound and song;
- Tunes for Twos, (for two-year olds) perfect for those who love to learn through movement, featuring songs and musical games that foster vocabulary development, large motor movements and socialization skills;
- Seasons of Song, (for three-year olds) explores musical concepts through song, movement, musical games and playing instruments;
- My Musical World, (four-year olds) presents music from countries and cultures around the world;
- “Listening and Learning in Action,” (for five-year olds and Kindergarten) teaches rhythm and develops aural skills; it is recommended for children who are taking instrumental lessons, or are preparing to do so;
- Getting to Know You: Exploring the Instruments, (for four-year olds through Kindergarten) brings professional musicians into the classroom to introduce children to instruments in the winds, string and percussion families;
- Little Piper Recorder Classes, (for Kindergarten) teaches children how to play the recorder in a group setting;
- Suzuki Pre-Twinklers, (violin for three- and four-year olds) serves as an introduction to violin studies and features singing, movement and other activities; and
- Suzuki Pre-Flute, (for Kindergarten) provides an introduction to the flute.
Registration is ongoing throughout the year. Tuition is pro-rated based upon time of enrollment.
For Additional Information, or to RSVP:
Kathryn Kitt at 914-723-1169; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.hbms.org
About Hoff-Barthelson Music School:
Hoff-Barthelson Music School has achieved national recognition as a premier community music school for its unsurpassed leadership in education, performance and community service. With a faculty drawn from the region’s most talented teachers and performers, the School has long been one of Westchester County’s most cherished cultural resources. Open to people of all ages and abilities, Hoff-Barthelson serves as a center where anyone can pursue their interest in music and reach their highest potential. Students encounter a vibrant, nurturing community of music-makers, often forming relations that last a lifetime. The School will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2019-2020.
Photo credit and caption: Hoff-Barthelson faculty member Laura Barnet teaches an Early Childhood Music Class. Photographed by Steven Schnur.
Event Location and Ticket Information
Hoff-Barthelson Music School
25 School Lane
Scarsdale, New York 10583
Handicap Accessible? Yes
Date: Saturday, September 9, 2017
Times: 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Presenter: Hoff-Barthelson Music School
Presenter Phone: 914-723-1169
Presenter Website: www.hbms.org