Friday, April 8, 2016
8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Being Muslim/Muslim Being: Mobilities and Practices—The 2016 Helen Merrell Lynd Colloquium
Heimbold Visual Arts Center Atruim/Lobby
April 8, 2016 / Friday
This interdisciplinary colloquium brings together scholars whose work addresses the multiplicity of lived human experiences and practices of Muslims, past and present. Inspired by, and in homage to, the late Shahab Ahmed (1966-2015), the colloquium seeks to take up Dr. Ahmed’s charge to explore “the historical and human phenomenon that is Islam in its plentitude and complexity of meaning.” Presentations will engage with Muslim histories, art and architecture, poetry, and law as well as their mobilities and productive practices across time and space.
• Michael Cook, Professor of Near Eastern Studies, Princeton University
• Ahmet Karamustafa, Professor of History, University of Maryland
• Sarah Eltantawi, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, Evergreen State College
• Jerrilynn Dodds, Professor of Art History, Sarah Lawrence College
• Denis McAuley, Independent Scholar
• Engseng Ho, Professor of Cultural Anthropology, History and Islamic Studies Center, Duke University
• Nahid Siamdoust, Research Scholar, Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies, New York University
• Mustafa Bayoumi, Professor of English, Brooklyn College of CUNY
The Helen Merrell Lynd Colloquium is sponsored by the Helen Merrell Lynd Colloquium Fund, the Donald C. Samuel Fund for Economics and Politics, the Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation Chair in Middle Eastern Studies and International Affairs, and by a grant for International Campus Initiatives from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Please note, registration is required and official ID is required for admission.
8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
Registration and light breakfast
9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Donnelley Film Theatre
5 – 6:30 p.m.
Reception and performance
Event Location and Ticket Information
Heimbold Visual Arts Center Atruim/Lobby, Sarah Lawrence College
1 Mead Way
Bronxville, NY 10708
Handicap Accessible? Yes
Date: Friday, April 8, 2016
Times: 8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Presenter Phone: 9172420699