Are You Ready to Sew?
ArtsWestchester and Amanda Browder are thrilled to announce the unveiling of Metropolis Sunrise this October. After two years of collectively enduring the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to invite everyone in the community to reconnect with us. Let’s come together to complete this monumental work of public art! Together, we have so far sewn an incredible 6,500 square-feet of fabric. That means we are two-thirds of the way towards completing our goal of sewing 10,000 square-feet of fabric!
Once completed, the fabric sculpture will be draped on the front facade of ArtsWestchester’s historic nine-story building in downtown White Plains, where it will be on display for several weeks, beginning in October 2022. The work will be officially unveiled as part of the highly anticipated Serious Fun Arts Fest.
Over the next four months, ArtsWestchester and our partners around Westchester County will be organizing Public Sewing Days, during which groups of community volunteers will come together to organize, pin and sew monochromatic stripes and shapes for the larger fabric installation. Whether you are new to this project or have attended Public Sewing Days in the past, we invite you to join us. NO sewing skills are needed. There is a role for everyone!
Public Sewing Days in the Gallery at ArtsWestchester | 31 Mamaroneck Avenue | White Plains
- Saturday, July 16 | 10AM-4PM
- Wednesday, July 20 | 12PM-7PM
- Wednesday, July 27 | 12PM-7PM
- Saturday, July 30 | 10AM-4PM
Public Sewing Days throughout Westchester County:
- Wednesday, Aug. 3 | 12n-7pm | Bethany Arts Community | 40 Somerstown Road | Ossining
- Friday, Aug. 5 | 10am-4pm | Katonah Museum of Art | 134 Jay Street | Katonah
- Saturday, Aug 6 | 10am-4pm | James F. Galgano Senior Center | 55 Elm Street | Sleepy Hollow
- Wednesday, Aug 10 and Thursday Aug 11 | 1pm-7pm | Ossining Public Library | 53 Croton Avenue | Ossining
- Monday, Aug 15 | 1pm-5pm | Yonkers Riverfront Library | One Larkin Center | Yonkers
- Monday, Aug 22 | 11am-6pm | White Plains Public Library | 100 Martine Avenue | White Plains
*Masks are required unless otherwise noted. If you are feeling unwell, please stay home.
We thank Amanda, our volunteers and our partners for their contributions to this project! Click here for a full list of contributors.
ArtsWestchester presents Metropolis Sunrise by Amanda Browder
Listen to our new Sewing Community Podcast!
Sewers who have worked on this project share their stories and experiences and inspire others to join the project!
10,000 Square Feet of
Donated and Recycled Fabric
Yards of Thread
For information about sponsorship opportunities, contact Kathleen Reckling, Director of Public Programs.
ABOUT AMANDA BROWDER
Amanda Browder is a Brooklyn-based installation artist known for her large-scale fabric installations on building exteriors and other public sites. Her work incorporates donated materials and local volunteers, creating site-specific art. She is the recipient of grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, and Transformation Fellowship from University of Nevada, Las Vegas.