Contact & Info
I'm a Pre-K Head Teacher at Central Synagogue's May Family Nursery School in New York City. The preschool is play based and follows the educational philosophy of Reggio Emilia. In addition, I teach art to children in Southern Westchester. Presently, I teach art at the Summer Arts Program at Hoff Barthelson Music School and Privately.
I am also proud to be a Teaching Artist in ArtsWestchester's distinguished Teaching Artist Residency Program. Through my affiliation with ArtsWestchester I have done artist residencies at: Westchester Hills School 29, Yonkers, NY, Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, Unity Gardens, a senior residence, Mount Vernon, NY, and Heartsong, a music and art therapy center for children with disabilities, White Plains, NY.
In my spare time I create art, and specialize in collage. I frequently exhibit my artwork, and have participated in Group Art Shows as well as Juried Exhibitions in New York City, Westchester County and Rockland County, NY, and Greenwich and Cos Cob, CT.
I received my Masters of Arts in Teaching with distinction from Manhattanville College. I have Professional Certifications from New York State Department of Education to teach Early Childhood (birth - grade 2), Childhood Education (1 - 6), and Visual Arts (K - 12).
I have a degree in Textile Surface Design Cum Laude from The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. I developed print designs for Nautica International as well as other print design studios in Manhattan for the fashion and bedding industries. In addition, I designed packaging and retail materials at Tommy Hilfiger Home.
Visit my website, www.darakane.com to see my Gallery of Collages and classes for children.
- PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
- Childhood Education (grades 1- 6), Early Childhood Education (birth - grade 2), Visual Arts (K - 12), New York State, 2014
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY - Masters of Arts in Teaching, May 2011, Kappa Delta Pi
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, NY - Associates in Applied Science, Cum Laude, 1994, Major: Textile/Surface Design
- Baruch College, New York, NY - Bachelor of Arts, May 1986, Major: English
- RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Central Synagogue May Family Nursery School, New York, NY, September 2014 - Present. Co-Head Teacher (4's). Ask open-ended questions to encourage critical thinking and inquisitiveness; lead discussions to promote listening and questioning skills; guide students in developing their own knowledge using available resources
- The Bronxville School, Bronxville, NY, Fall 2007 – Present. After School Program, January 2008 – 2014. Art Instructor (ages 6 – 11). Develop custom art courses; receive positive parent feedback; enrollment continually full; teach collage, painting techniques, clay and Be An Artist where each week new artist and style are explored. October 2007 – Present. Substitute Teacher (grades K – 5). Implement lesson plans; introduce new material when appropriate; maintain positive interactions with students, faculty and parents to ensure environment conducive to learning.
- Hoff-Barthelson Music School, Scarsdale, NY, Summers 2008 – Present. Summer Arts Program, Art Instructor. Instruct elementary and middle school-aged children daily over five-week period; develop and implement projects in variety of art mediums and techniques.
- Hoff-Barthelson Preschool, Scarsdale, NY, September 2011 – May 2014. Preschool Teacher (3's and 4's). Guided play to encourage social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development; assessed students' developmental needs; nurtured creative development through art mediums and art history; initiated reading and games with children.
- Jefferson Elementary School, New Rochelle, NY, January – May 2011. Student Teacher (Grades 1 and 4). Created and administered math assessment; analyzed assessments to differentiate small group math instruction; integrated SMART board into teaching
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, Summers 2011, 2012, Artist-in-Residence. Developed and taught collage workshops inspired by children's literature; incorporated rubbing technique, spelling, and tracing into projects; used recycled materials
- Private Art Teacher, White Plains, NY, September 2010 – March 2011, Home School Art Instructor. Created art curriculum based on White Plains School District visual arts curriculum, state and national standards; taught weekly lessons to 2 home schooled students, ages 4 and 6; integrated art with academic subjects including social studies and math Consulted with parents to plan instruction; wrote quarterly updates on first grader’s progress for school district
- Westchester Hills School 29, Yonkers, NY, Spring 2010, Artist-in-Residence. Collaborated with school guidance counselor; instructed 5th and 6th grade girls weekly; used collage to address self-esteem issues
- JURIED EXHIBITS: ORIGINAL COLLAGES
- 2019 We're Not In Kansas Anymore, Hastings Village Hall, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
- 2019 Inside Small, Greenwich Botanical Center Gallery, Cos Cob, CT
- 2018 Inside Small, The Outside In Gallery, Piermont, NY *Awarded Juried Honorable Mention
- 2014 2nd Juried Exhibition, Blue Mountain Gallery, New York, NY
- 2014 Westchester Biennial, Castle Gallery, New Rochelle, NY
- EXHIBITS: ORIGINAL COLLAGES
- 2019 Your Place Squared: Community Art Project, Bruce Museum, Greenwich, CT
- 2017 Holiday Show 2017, Blue Door Art Center, Yonkers, NY
- 2016 Small Works Exhibition, Rye Arts Center, Rye, NY
- 2014 Bronxville Pop-Up Art Show, Bronxville, NY
- 2012 Piecing It Together, Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY
- 2012 Connections: Teaching Artists of Westchester, Arts Westchester Bank Building, White Plains, NY
- 2011 Graduate Student Art Show, Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY
- 2008 Solo Exhibition, Karma Road, New Paltz, NY
- 2008 Solo Exhibition, Store Room Gallery at Gillard's, Bronxville, NY
- Microsoft Word, PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop; SMART Board
Teaching Artist Experience
- RECENT PROJECTS
- 10-day artist residency at Heartsong's Express Yourself Summer Camp, White Plains, NY, August 2013. Sensory art activities encouraged fine motor development; art lessons incorporated counting, colors and shapes; a communal table promoted socialization; songs established the beginning and end of class and marked transitions; kept daily progress notes on each child.
- 10-week artist residency at Unity Gardens, a senior residence in Mount Vernon, NY, Spring 2013. Each week residents learned about a famous artist and created art in the style of that artist; variety of art techniques and materials were introduced; an art show of the residents work concluded the residency, the art class provided needed socialization for the residents.
- 6-week artist residency at the Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, June - July 2012. Developed and taught collage projects inspired by children's literature; incorporated rubbing technique, spelling, and tracing; used collaging materials that would otherwise be discarded.
- 4-week artist residency at the Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, June 2011. Made strong connections between literacy and the arts; developed and taught collage workshops inspired by Jennie's Hat and Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats; used recycled shoe boxes as a collaging surface.