Contact & Info
Presently, I am a co-head teacher at Central Synagogue's May Family Nursery School in New York City. The preschool is play-based and follows an emergent curriculum. Since 2008, I have been teaching art classes in the Westchester area to children-- at The Bronxville After School Club, Bronxville Public Library, Heartsong, Hoff-Barthelson Music School, Mount Vernon Public Library, Sarah Lawrence College, Tuckahoe Public Library, Westchester Hills School 29, and Westfield Day School. I also teach art privately to children ages 5 - 12. In May 2011 I received a Master of Arts in Teaching with distinction from Manhattanville College. I have Professional Certifications from New York State in Early Childhood (birth - grade 2), Childhood Education (grades 1 - 6) and Visual Arts (K - 12). Visit my E-portfolio to review my resume, educational philosophies, student work and letters of recommendation: https://mville.digication.com/kaned1/Home/published Prior to teaching art in the Westchester area, I worked as a Textile Designer in NYC for ten years. I developed print designs for Nautica International and Yatas Home, a Turkish-based bedding company, as well as other print design studios in Manhattan for the fashion and bedding industries. In addition, I designed packaging and retail materials at Tommy Hilfiger Home. Visit my website, www.darakane.com to see my Gallery of Collages and classes for children.
- PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
- Childhood Education (grades 1- 6), Early Childhood Education (birth - grade 2), Visual Arts (K - 12), New York State, 2014
- Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY - Masters of Arts in Teaching, May 2011, Kappa Delta Pi
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, NY - Associates in Applied Science, Cum Laude, 1994, Major: Textile/Surface Design
- Baruch College, New York, NY - Bachelor of Arts, May 1986, Major: English
- RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Central Synagogue May Family Nursery School, New York, NY, September 2014 - Present. Co-Head Teacher (4's). Ask open-ended questions to encourage critical thinking and inquisitiveness; lead discussions to promote listening and questioning skills; guide students in developing their own knowledge using available resources
- The Bronxville School, Bronxville, NY, Fall 2007 – Present. After School Program, January 2008 – Present. Art Instructor (ages 6 – 11). Develop custom art courses; receive positive parent feedback; enrollment continually full; teach collage, painting techniques, clay and Be An Artist where each week new artist and style are explored. October 2007 – Present. Substitute Teacher (grades K – 5). Implement lesson plans; introduce new material when appropriate; maintain positive interactions with students, faculty and parents to ensure environment conducive to learning.
- Hoff-Barthelson Music School, Scarsdale, NY, Summers 2008 – Present. Summer Arts Program, Art Instructor. Instruct elementary and middle school-aged children daily over five-week period; develop and implement projects in variety of art mediums and techniques.
- Hoff-Barthelson Preschool, Scarsdale, NY, September 2011 – May 2014. Preschool Teacher (3's and 4's). Guided play to encourage social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development; assessed students' developmental needs; nurtured creative development through art mediums and art history; initiated reading and games with children.
- Jefferson Elementary School, New Rochelle, NY, January – May 2011. Student Teacher (Grades 1 and 4). Created and administered math assessment; analyzed assessments to differentiate small group math instruction; integrated SMART board into teaching
- ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, Summers 2011, 2012, Artist-in-Residence. Developed and taught collage workshops inspired by children's literature; incorporated rubbing technique, spelling, and tracing into projects; used recycled materials
- Private Art Teacher, White Plains, NY, September 2010 – March 2011, Home School Art Instructor. Created art curriculum based on White Plains School District visual arts curriculum, state and national standards; taught weekly lessons to 2 home schooled students, ages 4 and 6; integrated art with academic subjects including social studies and math Consulted with parents to plan instruction; wrote quarterly updates on first grader’s progress for school district
- Westchester Hills School 29, Yonkers, NY, Spring 2010, Artist-in-Residence. Collaborated with school guidance counselor; instructed 5th and 6th grade girls weekly; used collage to address self-esteem issues
- Tuckahoe Public Library, Tuckahoe, NY, January 2008, November 2010, Art Instructor, ages 5 – 11.
- Westfield Day School, Rye, NY, April 2008, Guest Artist
- Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, February-March 2008, Art Instructor, Adult Continuing Education
- The Bronxville Public Library, Bronxville, NY, November 2007, Art Instructor
- EXHIBITS: ORIGINAL COLLAGES
- 2014, 2nd Juried Exhibition, Blue Mountain Gallery, New York, NY
- 2014, 2nd Bronxville Pop-Up Art Show, Bronxville, NY
- 2014, Westchester Biennial, Castle Gallery, New Rochelle, NY
- 2012, Piecing It Together, Mt. Vernon Public Library, Mt. Vernon, NY
- 2012, Connections: The Teaching Artists of Westchester, ArtsWestchester, White Plains, NY
- 2011, Graduate Student Art Show, Manhattanville College, Purchase, NY
- 2008, Solo Exhibition, Karma Road, New Paltz, NY
- 2008, Solo Exhibition, Store Room Gallery at Gillard’s, Bronxville, NY
- OTHER EXPERIENCE
- Packaging Designer, Tommy Hilfiger 1997 – 2000
- Print Designer, Yatas Home 1997
- Print Designer, Nautica International, Inc. 1995 – 1997
- CAD Designer, Design Solutions, Inc. 1994 – 1995
- Microsoft Word, PowerPoint; Adobe Photoshop; SMART Board
Teaching Artist Experience
- RECENT PROJECTS
- 10-day artist residency at Heartsong's Express Yourself Summer Camp, White Plains, NY, August 2013. Sensory art activities encouraged fine motor development; art lessons incorporated counting, colors and shapes; a communal table promoted socialization; songs established the beginning and end of class and marked transitions; kept daily progress notes on each child.
- 10-week artist residency at Unity Gardens, a senior residence in Mount Vernon, NY, Spring 2013. Each week residents learned about a famous artist and created art in the style of that artist; variety of art techniques and materials were introduced; an art show of the residents work concluded the residency, the art class provided needed socialization for the residents.
- 6-week artist residency at the Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, June - July 2012. Developed and taught collage projects inspired by children's literature; incorporated rubbing technique, spelling, and tracing; used collaging materials that would otherwise be discarded.
- 4-week artist residency at the Mount Vernon Public Library, Mount Vernon, NY, June 2011. Made strong connections between literacy and the arts; developed and taught collage workshops inspired by Jennie's Hat and Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats; used recycled shoe boxes as a collaging surface.