Contact & Info
I am a mixed media artist specializing in textiles and fiber arts. My art practice is a form of self-exploration. It serves as a channel of meaningful growth, expansion, and connection. My art pieces are like maps of my memories. They are fragments of my experience that I am working with, piecing together, and reconnecting to. As a teaching artist and educator, I develop and teach arts programs independently, as well as in partnership with arts and cultural institutions, such as the Guggenheim Museum, the Morgan Library & Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I specialize in an interdisciplinary approach to teaching including working with Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) and other inquiry-based teaching methods. I have over ten years of experience teaching adults, families, seniors, and K-12 students (including ESL/ELL). I have developed and led programs in a wide variety of disciplines including: drawing, collage, sculpture, photography, sewing, and printmaking. I consider teaching an extension of my art practice, and I am passionate about sharing my love of art and learning with others. Please visit my website (www.RukhshanHaque.com) for information about my exhibition history and community-based arts programs.
My educational background is in studio art and design. I have an MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts from Goddard College. My undergraduate degree is in Women’s Studies and Biology. I also have a degree in Fashion Design (Tailoring & Knitwear) from F.I.T.
Teaching Artist Experience
Highlights of my teaching experience include:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art - Educator, Access Programs
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - Gallery Educator, Public Programs
- LEAP (Learning through an Expanded Arts Program) - Teaching Artist, School Programs
- Morgan Library & Museum - Museum Educator and Teaching Artist, School Programs
- SPARC Program -Artist-in-Residence: SPARC (now called Su-Casa) is a community arts program that connects artists with senior centers citywide. I was selected as an artist-in residence to develop and lead a 6 month residency program in hand embroidery at the Bayside Senior Center