The band shell at Hudson Park is New Rochelle’s summer concert venue, with free concerts that give music lovers the chance to enjoy the cool breezes off Long Island Sound all summer long. The Emil Paolucci Summer Sounds Concert Series, created by the New Rochelle Council on the Arts, is in its 10th season and this year’s concerts will feature an eclectic menu of musicians performing everything from mellow jazz to opera to bluegrass, Motown and hip-hop.
This year the popular dance band Alive N Kickin will open the season performing Motown, R & B, Disco and Swing favorites at 7:30 pm on Wednesday, June 28th, and international singing sensation Alfio will provide a fitting finale on Wednesday, August 30th. In between concert goers will hear exciting live music on 10 consecutive Wednesdays, plus four Friday concerts in July and August.
The Summer Sounds concert series is presented by the New Rochelle Council on the Arts, in partnership with the New Rochelle Dept. of Parks and Recreation, and co-sponsored by HSN (Home Shopping Network), Michael Anthony Jewelers, Webster Bank and People’s United Bank. Last year NRCA upgraded the sound system, thanks to an anonymous donation, and provided state-of-the-art restroom facilities. NRCA also reached out to local food trucks, and the same vendors have been invited this year.
Bill Zimmerman, Commissioner of New Rochelle’s Dept. of Parks & Recreation, says the city is proud to continue the summer concert tradition. “The support of our sponsors HSN, Michael Anthony Jewelers, Webster Bank and People’s United Bank has made it possible for us to continue bringing free concerts to the community.” Theresa Kump Leghorn, President of the New Rochelle Council on the Arts, adds “Our sponsors are generous supporters of the arts with a true commitment to the community they serve.” For more information visit the NRCA website at www.newrochellearts.org or telephone the Dept. of Parks and Recreation at 654-2087.
The full Summer Sounds Concert Series schedule includes:
- Wednesday, June 28th: Alive N Kickin
- Known for their chart-topping hit Tighter & Tighter, this dance band remains one of the East Coast’s most-requested, playing pop favorites guaranteed to get everybody on their feet.
- Wednesday, July 5th: The Nat Osborn Band
- The Brooklyn based seven-piece band, flanked by a powerful three piece horn section, takes the best elements of soul, funk, indie-rock, and jazz and weaves them around songwriter Osborn’s infectious and clever songs
- Wednesday, July 12th: 3D Rhythm of Life
- A bilingual dance band for the 21st century playing a Latin Tropical mix of funky salsa and Caribbean soul with a New York attitude.
- Wednesday, July 19th : David Gerald Band
- Detroit’s David Gerald has been called “one of the top blues musicians of our era”; his band plays a distinctive blend of blues, soul and rock
- Friday, July 21st : Greetings From Anywhere
- This group mashes folk, blues, bluegrass and country into a unique roots- rock hybrid, performing original compositions alongside reinterpreted feel-good covers. with the gritty, impromptu abandon of a good-old-time garage band.
- Wednesday, July 26th : What It Is
- Horn-driven funk, soul, rock, jazz, pop, country, R&B band playing the best of Steely Dan, Bruno Mars, Springsteen, Chicago, Tower of Power, James Brown, Paul Simon, George Strait, Ray Charles and way more!
- Friday, July 28th : Rocky Middleton Jazz Ensemble
- Local favorite Rocky and some of the finest jazz musicians around.
- Wednesday, August 2nd : New Rochelle Opera
- Performing favorites from opera, operetta and Broadway.
- Friday, August 4th: Kay Boyd and Acts of Faith
- Back by popular demand, a night of outstanding gospel music.
- Wednesday, August 9th: Lynette Washington & Dennis Bell Jazz NY
- Vocalist Lynette Washington, winner in the Jazzmobile Anheuser-Busch Jazz Vocal Competition in 2005, teams with award winning pianist, producer, composer and conductor Dennis Bell’s Jazz NY ensemble. “Lynette Washington is a soulful vocalist, great interpreter of the Great American Song Book. She is an all around entertainer of the highest level.” — Gino Moratti, Artist Director , Jazz at Kitano
- Friday, August 11th: Rising Musicians Night
- Featuring Ivan Polanco and the Jacob Harelick Ensemble
- Wednesday, August 16th : Franco Morillo Band
- Playing Latin favorites
- Wednesday, August 23rd : The Barons
- Featuring r & b music from the 1950s and 1960s
- Wednesday, August 30th: Alfio
- Charismatic Australian singer/songwriter Alfio has one of the greatest voices in contemporary music today, captivating his audience with equal parts music journey, powerful vocals and comedic banter.
Hudson Park is located at 1 Hudson Park Road in New Rochelle.