Teaching Artists – Visual Arts (multiple positions)
About Pelham Art Center
The Pelham Art Center’s mission is to provide the public with a place, the resources and the opportunity to see, study and experience the arts in a community setting. The organization is committed to the belief that public participation in and access to the arts on a free or affordable basis fosters community development and engagement, thus creating a strong foundation for southern Westchester and its surrounding areas.
Pelham Art Center seeks creative and experienced mixed media/visual arts teaching artists for its youth outreach art classes and workshops, especially for Pre-K through 3rd grade. Areas of concentration may include painting, drawing, mixed media, ceramics, sculpture, crafts, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) subjects and the like. Successful candidates will demonstrate strong professional experience in their respective discipline, experience teaching children and/or teens; and will possess a passion for creative youth development. Teaching artists must have strong classroom management skills.
• Commitment to teach one or more classes per week throughout the duration of the program (spring, summer, fall or winter semester or year-long residencies in after school programs during the academic year, or project based-engagements).
• Represent Pelham Art Center in interactions with program partners and other stakeholders.
• Embrace the role of mentor, and model respectful communication with other staff and students.
• Effectively manage classroom.
•Design and execute a creative, age-appropriate, project-based arts curriculum.
• Collaborate effectively with coworkers, and communicate regularly with supervisory staff.
• BA/BFA in Arts, Education or a related field required. Master’s preferred.
• Minimum of three years experience teaching, in either school or community-based settings. NY teacher certification, especially art teacher, a plus.
• Familiarity with state/national learning standards in the arts and/or moving image
• Experience as a practicing artist.
Please submit cover letter, résumé, portfolio and/or links via e-mail to [email protected] with “[Your Name]: Teaching Artist” in the subject line. Pelham Art Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The PAC Teaching Artist pay scale is based on experience and expertise. Our Teaching Artists, on average, earn $40/hour and PAC covers the cost of supplies.