The Steffi Nossen Dance Foundation in White Plains, NY seeks a full-time School Director to oversee the Steffi Nossen School of Dance. Founded as a modern dance school in 1937 by dance legend Steffi Nossen, the Steffi Nossen School of Dance (SNSD) offers the highest quality, developmentally appropriate dance instruction and performance opportunities for all ages and abilities. From pre-schoolers through pre-professionals, classes are offered in modern, ballet, jazz, contemporary, tap, hip hop, yoga and composition, workshops and short courses in world dance forms. The diverse and cross-cultural menu of offerings reflects our philosophy that dance is universal and a unique form of education that develops the body, mind, spirit and character. Our engaging conservatory style classes challenge each student to strive for personal excellence in a supportive, inclusive, non-competitive environment. Our educationally sound, sequential curriculum fosters technical growth and exploration through dance. Our outreach programs include dance classes for children and adults with special needs, outreach performances and audience development events/performances.
The School Director reports to the Executive Director and is charged with sharing the legacy of the Steffi Nossen method while offering leadership and expertise for a complete dance education for ages 3-18. The School Director is responsible for the overall educational excellence of the school, ensuring a high level of technique in all disciplines and a responsive, professional and nurturing faculty.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
– Main liaison for parents and students regarding class planning, absences, concerns and future growth
– Produce an annual children’s show performance
– Recruit part-time faculty for various programs and hire, manage, review and assess instructors, in coordination with the Executive Director and Artistic Director
– Plan and oversee the class schedule in coordination with the Executive Director and Artistic Director
– Oversee the curriculum and faculty for all techniques including modern, ballet, jazz, hip hop, tap, creative movement, adult classes, etc.
– Develop and implement the curriculum development for the Core Modern, Modern-Jazz and Jazz program, in collaboration with faculty
– Collaborate with the executive staff as necessary for outreach programs, Master Class programs and the Steffi Nossen Dance Company
– Plan the SummerDance programs in coordination with the Executive Director and Artistic Director
– Coordinate with the Music Director for class musicians and assign class assistants
– Collaborate with the executive staff on registration, marketing and enrollment, as appropriate
– Accomplish the enrollment goals and budget expectations as approved by the Board of Directors
– Bachelors Degree required; Master’s Degree a plus
– Minimum of 5 years of professional experience teaching dance
– 3 years of experience coaching and training staff
– Experience creating and executing a curriculum plan
– Experience with a variety of dance styles and techniques
– Experience working with youth and adolescents
– Strong organization and communication skills; strong attention to detail
– Efficient and proactive problem solver; strong multitasking skills
– Enthusiasm for arts and education work
– High level of comfort working with individuals and families from diverse backgrounds; multilingual skills a plus
– Evening and weekend availability required
– High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite
– Flexibility, positive attitude and good work ethic
– Ability to work independently, and as a member of a team
– Access to a car for site visits and performances preferred
– Office and costume inventory management, as needed
Steffi Nossen Dance Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer.