Cross County Shopping Center Issues
Call for Artists
Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival to Take Place August 2
YONKERS, N.Y. (May 2014) – Cross County Shopping Center is calling all area artists to participate in a chalk art competition at the Center’s annual Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival. This event is part of the SummerFest series taking place June – August, 2014.
SummerFest includes outdoor concerts, fireworks, children’s entertainment and more. The Sidewalk Chalk Art competition involves both local and regional artists of all ages, who will create extraordinary art throughout Cross County Shopping Center.
From 8 am to 4 pm on Saturday, August 2, artists are invited to draw temporary works of art in the chalk medium throughout the Center reflecting the competition’s theme “The 1950’s”; in celebration of the Cross County Shopping Center’s 60th anniversary. Both Professionals and Amateurs are invited to participate and four prizes will be awarded at the end of the day (People’s Choice – $150, First Place – $500, Second Place – $350, Third Place – $250).
There is a $25 participation fee, which will be donated to support the Food Bank for Westchester. Chalk and other materials will be provided to all artists.
“We are excited to hold our second annual Sidewalk Chalk Art Competition to celebrate our 60th anniversary,” said Liz Pollack, Senior Marketing Manager, Cross County Shopping Center. “This is a unique event that appeals to a broad range of community members from art aficionados to families interested in viewing a different kind of art exhibit. There is so much artistic talent in Westchester and the surrounding areas, both professional and amateur, and we look forward to seeing their creations come to life throughout Cross County.”
Guidelines for interested artists are as follows:
- Artists may compete as individuals or in teams.
- Each participant will be assigned a specific space (first come, first served); sizes will vary.
- Participants must be 13 years or older to compete with parent or legal guardian present.
- Participants will be provided with chalk and may also bring their own supplies. Only non-oil based soft chalk or pastels in solid form may be used. (Use of acrylic paints, poster paint, liquid pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. is not permitted. Use of these substances is grounds for disqualification.)
- Artwork must be appropriate for all viewing ages and no political or commercial advertisements are permitted. A sample of work must be provided with application.
- Applicants are required to sign a photography release and hold harmless agreement. A legal guardian may sign for participants under the age of 18.
- Event organizers reserve the right to take and use photographs of art.
The application to participate may be found online at www.crosscountysummerfest.com. Application deadline: July 25
About Cross County Shopping Center
Cross County Shopping Center, owned by Brooks Shopping Centers, LLC, was acquired by Leonard Marx, Sr. and Charles Benenson in 1976 on behalf of a strategic partnership between Merchants’ National Properties, Inc., and Benenson Capital Partners, LLC. Merchants’ National Properties, Inc. (NASDAQ-MNNP) (www.merchantsnationalproperties.com), a prominent New York City based real estate investment, development and management company, incorporated in 1928, currently has interest in 63 properties in 20 states. Benenson Capital Partners, LLC (www.benensoncapital.com), a New York–based firm dating back to 1905, has holdings in over 150 properties throughout the United States, Canada and Europe.
Cross County Shopping Center features more than 100 specialty stores and restaurants including Macy’s, Zara, H&M, AX Armani Exchange, Swarovski, TGI Friday’s, Panera Bread Café, Chipotle and more. Children’s play areas, free parking and seasonal events draw millions of residents to the outdoor center, year-round. Cross County Shopping Center is located at the junction of Interstate 87 and the Cross County Parkway in Yonkers, NY. For more details on stores, events, hours and other Center happenings, log on to www.crosscountycenter.com.