“Chacas” is a residency programme for artists and other disciplines located in the Peruvian Andean white mountains.
The residency is located in the Chacas district in the department of Áncash, at 3359 masl and 3 hours from Huaraz by car. Are the most remote evidence of human presence in the Eastern Sierra Ancash, represented by the findings of caves and rock shelters prior to the Chavin culture. The ethnic group that was present in this place after the fall of the Chavin culture was the lordship of Huari.
The city is characterized for having remained unchanged over the original Andean-Andalusian architecture, with narrow streets, houses adorned with double water carved balconies and gates, made by craftsmen Don Bosco. Chacas appears surrounded by mountain ranges and the view of the snowy Ulta and Huascaran. Nowadays, the mixture of Peruvian and Italian work allows Chacas to enjoy an enviable multicultural potential worth knowing.
The residency program “Chacas” welcomes visual artists, architects and other disciplines; national and international for the period of 3 weeks (21 days) to develop projects related to:
- Geography: Peruvian Andean Mountains, white range – Cordillera Blanca,
- Community: Don Bosco artisans, sacred art and Operazione Mato Grosso,
- Pre Columbian cultures: Chavin, Recuay, Huari.
The programme aims to create a space for dialogue and exchange to promote production and research in geographical, social and historical aspects of Chacas city and Ancash region.
The fee for the residency is $600 US and includes:
- Arrival transportation from Huaraz to Chacas city
- Welcome session with traditional dinner
- Residency period accomodation (21 days/20 nights) in Mirador de Chacas, a traditional house in front of the Andean mountains with shared rooms.
- Contact with artisan studios
- Weekly meetings and talks organised by coordinators to exchange information and ideas about a proposed topic to strengthen projects.
- The organisation is committed to holding group exhibitions that will show the artist-in-residence products in Huaraz city.
- The AiR programme will provide promotion for any exhibition on social media, national TV and/or radio.
- Invitation letters and certificates of participation to the participants will be extended.
Deadline: September 30, 2017
Residency period: 3 weeks – November 2017
Running a successful ceramics studio is a team effort, so there are always opportunities to get involved at Yonkers Pottery. Participants contribute to the physical life cycle of the studio by dedicating time to clean and perform tasks critical to maintaining a safe and smooth-working environment for everyone’s enjoyment, as well as time to teach, monitor studio hours, help with sales, events, marketing and social media.
Internships – Experience first hand the nitty-gritty of a successful teaching community pottery studio while fulfilling your school’s internship requirements or your own personal goals.
Work Exchange – In exchange for working at the studio, you are compensated at an hourly rate to be used toward firing credits, classes or the use of our facilities, equipment and resources to further your skills and build your body of work and portfolio.
Artist Residencies – Coming Soon!