The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc. is now accepting proposals from regional artists in the surrounding areas of NY, CT and NJ for its “OF EARTH & SKY” exhibition. This exhibit will run from July 19, 2020 through August. 9, 2020. The exhibition will take place throughout the Village Center of Scarsdale as the featured part of the Scarsdale Summer Art Festival 2020.
Submission Deadline: May 22, 2020
“OF EARTH & SKY”
On View in Spaces throughout the Scarsdale Village Center
Dates: July 19 through August 9, 2020
A juried exhibition inviting artists to visually represent “Of Earth & Sky.”
Of Earth & Sky will be curated through invitational open call to regional artists. This is not a show that will strictly be of landscapes. Of Earth & Sky reflects on not only the beauty of the earth, but the appreciation of preserving it as well. The Sky focuses on the heavens above us but also beyond the solar systems that we may discover and visit. Questions artists may respond to include: How do people interact with the earth and sky around them, whether as remembered, or now, or as seen for the future? What does this planet mean to me? How does my daily way of life affect the planet, the earth we live on or the water we swim in or drink? What feelings do the majestic mountains in this area hold for the artist? What wonders are held in the heavens? How is the energetic relationship between the earth and sky perceived? How does the watershed of the Hudson Valley affect our life, our neighborhoods? How could climate change in other countries affect neighboring countries?
Work will be judged by the originality, technique and craftsmanship as well as the extent it fits into the theme of the show. Artists working in 2D, 3D or sculpture may apply in all mediums.
CURATOR and JUROR: Barbara Galazzo
Barbara Galazzo is an award winning Glass Artist, art promoter, curator and gallery director. She was a co-owner/Director of Brooklyn Artisans Gallery, Brooklyn, NY and owner of Gallery 66 NY, Cold Spring, NY before joining Rockland Center for the Arts as Exhibition Director. Through the years she has developed and promoted artists through such projects as her ArtFull Living Designer Show House. A few of her exhibitions include: the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, Louisville, KY; Chicago S.O.F.A., Chicago, IL; and Bullseye Glass at [email protected], Portland, OR. She has curated over 75 exhibitions including: Fantastical Creatures, Reeves Reed Arboretum, Summit, NJ; Art, Sip & Stroll, Yountville Arts, Yountville, CA; Observations, Beyond and About, works by Donald Alter, Gallery 66 NY, Cold Spring, NY; In Form: Contemporary Sculptural Ceramics, Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyack, NY; Henry Varnum Poor, RoCA, West Nyack, NY; Activism in Art, RoCA, West Nyack, NY; Kristallnacht, SK Art Gallery NY, White Plains, NY; Walks of Life, Hudson Beach Gallery, Beacon, NY; The Tipping Point: Climate Change, RoCA, West Nyack, NY.
- Submission Deadline: May 22, 2020
- Accepted Notice sent out: July 1, 2020
- Delivery of Work: July 11, 2020
- Exhibition Dates: July 19 through August 9, 2020
- Pre-Opening Reception: July 18, 2020
- Submission Form can be found at https://www.scarsdaleforum.org/festival – Or, Click here to download application form.
- Submit to: [email protected]
- Artists must reside within the Regional area of Westchester County and neighboring counties and cities, also including the Lower Hudson Counties of Orange, Rockland, Putnam and Dutchess Counties, and neighboring states
- Media is open to traditional, mixed media and non-traditional materials of 2D and 3D work.
- 2D pieces must be no larger than 40″ in any direction. 3D pieces must be no larger than 35” in at least one direction. Sculptures should be no taller than 6 ft, and no larger than 20″ diameter for the base.
- MUST be ready to hang with wire, cleat or sawtooth armature already attached. Pieces that do not meet these requirements will not be hung.
- For sculptures, weight must not exceed 150 lbs. 3D artists should include their own pedestals. Artists will need to be available to help with any sculptures requiring special installation.
- Works mailed should include return postage in a returnable box.
- Delivery of Work: July 11, 2020
- Pick up of work: August 10, 2020
- Artists must have insurance for their artwork or sign a release for The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc.
- Artists agree to give a hi-resolution image and to allow The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc. to use it for publicity.
- Application form can be found at https://www.scarsdaleforum.org/festival.
- Fill out the application, then submit it with your images, bio (in paragraph form), and artist statement to [email protected]
- Each artwork must have one image if 2D and up to three images if 3D, including one detail or side view if needed. Images may be in JPEG, PNG, GIF or PDF formats.
- Label images with your name and title of piece. Images should be at least 500 KB, and no image may be over 3 MB.
- Application Fee: $25
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: May 22, 2020
Please note: The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc. and the Scarsdale Summer Art Festival 2020 reserve the right to refuse to hang work that does not represent the submitted image(s) or arrives in unacceptable hanging or framing condition. Please read the requirements and submission information above carefully.
For more information contact: The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc. at 8 Tunstall Road, Scarsdale, NY, email [email protected], for phone provide own phone number and a representative of The Scarsdale Arts Council, Inc. will call back.